Today I was craving meatloaf. Who knew that as an adult I would develop a craving for meatloaf!? The recipe is by Carol Fenster. I added some purred veggies to it though, was pleasantly surprised you couldn't tell that I had added them. I discovered tonight that, it's better to use a leaner ground beef, then what we had on hand tonight. It's better suited for hamburgers, which I'm starting to lean towards having tomorrow night.
Meat Loaf:
1 pound raw lean ground beef (85% or leaner)
1/2 cup of gluten free bread crumbs, homemade or I personally use Quinoa flakes
2TBS of dried minced onion
1TBS of Dijon mustard (KOOPS)
1TBS of GF Worcestershire sauce (Heinz)
1 large egg, beaten or 1TBS of ground flax seed, 3TBS of water
1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1 jar of baby food squash (Beech-nut, or Earth's Best) - optional
1 jar of baby food peas (Beech-nut or Earth's Best) - optional
half of the glaze mixture
Glaze Mixture:
1 can of tomatoes sauce (Hunts)
1TBS of packed light brown sugar
1TBS of Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease the 5X9 inch pan
2. Using your hands or a potato masher, combine all the meat loaf ingredients in a large bowl. Or place the ingredients in a plastic freezer bad, seal and knead with your hands until the mixture is well blended.
3. Combine all the glaze ingredients in a bowl. adding half to the meat loaf mixture. Press the ground beef mixture into the pan. Brush the remaining half on top of the meat loaf.
4. Bake the loaf pan 45 minutes to 1hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Bake muffin-size meat loaves for 30 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes.
Potatoes:
1. I cut up 8-9 medium size potatoes after washing them.
2. Lay foil in a large pan. Lay potatoes on the foil, sprinkle garlic powder, sea salt, and use 3-4 TBS of butter (Earth Balance). Seal up the foil. OR wrap solid potatoes in the foil.
3. Cook the same length of time as the meat loaf.
No comments:
Post a Comment