The last couple of weeks have been really tough emotionally around the house. With the death of 2 beloved grandparents. One for each side of the family. Last week was a grandfather on my husband's side and today was my grandmother. Yes, I've heard that it's not a great idea to turn to food during times of sadness and all of that, but tonight I really need some comfort food. There's been a chicken casserole type dish, I've been wanting to try for awhile, and tonight ended up being the night to try it. I didn't follow the recipe 100% because I didn't have all the ingredients. It still turned out great, according to a friend of my daughter's. She's a very picky eater, so I feel it was a success. You'll find what I substiuted in (bold lettering).
Chicken Rice Plus
by Bette Hagman
The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast & Healthy
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
1 recipe Cream of Chicken soup or equivalent of one 10oz can (Cream of Mushroom soup)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup of mayonnaise (Miracle Whip)
1/2 teaspoon of curry powder (I forgot to use this, but will next time)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (Did not use -due to DF issues)
2/3 cup uncooked brown or white rice (I used 3/4 cup-didn't need to do that)
1 10oz package of frozen or 1 cup of fresh broccoli (1-10oz package of mixed frozen veggies - peas, carrots, water chestnuts, and broccoli)
1/4 cup of sliced almonds - optional (Did not use)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9 X 11 baking dish with vegetable oil spray (Use Canola oil spray). Wash the chicken and set aside. In a bowl add soup, cold water, mayonnaise, curry, and cheese. Sprinkle rice over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer the broccoli over the rice. Pour on half the sauce. Top with the chicken pieces and add the remaining sauce. If desired, sprinkle on the sliced almonds. Cover with foil ( I had a glass over that goes with my dish) and bake for 1 hour.
Makes 4 servings.
No comments:
Post a Comment